STATE GOVERNMENT employees got a pleasant surprise on Tuesday when the Mamata Banerjee government declared a half-day off for all its workers on the occasion of Jamai Sashti, to be celebrated on Friday.
The circular issued by the state finance department on Tuesday said, “In view of celebration of Jamai Sashti all over the state, the Governor has been pleased to declare that all offices under the Government of West Bengal with the exception of the office of the Registrar of Assurance, Kolkata and the office of the Collector of Stamp Revenue, Kolkata shall be closed at 2 pm on Friday the 10the June, 2016.”
Welcoming the decision, Avik Biswas, a Kolkata-based state government employee who is currently posted in Burdwan district, said, “I will request my boss and leave at about noon so that I reach home by lunch time and spend the day with family. The TMC government has been very bountiful in this regard,” he said.
- West Bengal: Mamata Banerjee on puja inauguration spree, Oppn calls it gimmick
- Calcutta High Court puts on hold Mamata Banerjee’s plan to give Rs 10,000 to Durga Puja organizers
- During Singur struggle, we adopted Mahatma’s principles: Mamata Banerjee
- West Bengal: Mamata Banerjee leaves for 10-day trip to Germany, Italy
- Kolkata Majerhat bridge collapse: Another body recovered from under the debris, says CM Mamata Banerjee
- BJP is led by ‘Talibani Hindus’, will not cross 150 in Lok Sabha: Mamata Banerjee
Another state government employee, on condition of anonymity, said he was unmarried and would take a full day off on Friday and go somewhere for a quick getaway in the weekend.
Some government employees, however, expressed dissatisfaction on the announcement. “My working hours are from 8 am to 2 pm, so I will never get the advantage of these windfall gains. As it is we never get to leave before 4 pm owing to work pressure. On days like these we should be let off at 12 noon or get a compensatory off. We are deprived of these benefits,” said Krishnendu Neogi, a Kolkata Municipal Corporation official of the health department.
Previously too, Mamata had announced half-day holiday on Jamai Shashti for government employees.