Increasing the discomfort of state Congress, Arpita Chowdhury, wife of state Congress president Adhir Chowdhury said she was likely to join TMC soon.
Talking to The Indian Express, she said Adhir had abandoned her about three months ago and was helpless. “Adhir hardly comes home. I stay alone at my Shahid Surya Sen Road. He has not even kept in touch. I had to do something. So I have decided to join TMC,” Arpita said. Asked why she had chosen TMC she said that she had been inspired by Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee and would like to do some constructive work for people.
- Bengal Congress split on TMC tie-up, Rahul Gandhi says wait
- Rahul Gandhi to meet Bengal leaders amid threat of TMC switch by MLAs
- Divide in Congress over TMC tie-up: Rahul Gandhi to meet state leaders
- Bengal Congress divided over alliance with TMC
- In Bengal, Congress group wants tie-up with TMC
- Bengal Congress to party: No pact with TMC, let’s go with Left, have common offices
Sources at the TMC said that senior leaders had been in touch with Arpita and she would not only be inducted into the party within a week but will also be given a ticket in the municipal election.
“Yes, I have been in touch with senior TMC leaders and hopefully they will induct me before the municipal polls,” Arpita said.
Adhir was not available for a comment on the issue but senior Congress leaders said that it had been apprehended for sometime within the party.