A businessman was beaten to death after being robbed of Rs 15,000 at Beldanga area in Murshidabad district.
The incident took place at around 9 pm Wednesday night when Hafizul Sheikh, a fruit seller, was returning home on his cycle after the day’s work when he was confronted by a group of 5-6 persons. They beat him up and snatched away Rs 15,000 from his possession. Police said Hafizul was later beaten to death, most likely because he had identified some of his attackers. He died on the spot.
- Extortion case: Retired IPS officer Bharati Ghosh chargesheeted
- Gujarat engineer robbed of cash, cell phone at gunpoint
- Man duped of Rs 2.72 crore: FIR against Maria Susairaj, jailmate for fraud
- Kolkata: Contract killers, husband among five arrested
- West Bengal election: Death and power plant protests cast shadow over rural polls
- TMC leader in 10-day custody, locals find ‘bombs’ in his house
Hafizul had intended to buy a smartphone with the money that was stolen. “He had talked about it to many persons and chances are that some of them had killed him,” one of his family members said.
Police said a case has been lodged in this connection but no arrests had been made yet.