A cab driver, contracted to Uber, was arrested in Kolkata for an alleged obscene act in the presence of a woman passenger in the cab, police said late Tuesday.
A police officer said the 25-year-old woman, an employee of a shopping mall in Kolkata, complained that while travelling in the cab from Elgin Road to Netaji Nagar on July 8 she noticed through the looking glass that the driver was “masturbating with one hand and driving with the other”.
- Chandigarh: Cab driver arrested for ‘molesting’ girl, gets judicial remand
- Uber self-driving car in crash wasn’t programmed to brake
- Uber driver ‘masturbates’ in front of woman passenger
- Uber driver, with fake driving licence, held for masturbating while ferrying woman passenger in Delhi
- Talks with Ola on, Uber representative to meet tomorrow over strike, says MNS
- Uber driver held for taking pictures of woman: Cops
The driver, Pintu Yadav, was arrested on Monday night from Kustia Road under Tiljala police station after he was kept under watch for days, the police officer said.
Reacting to the development, Uber spokesperson Karun Arya said the driver has been suspended and the company assisted the local authorities with all information during the investigation.
“In this case, we immediately connected with our rider, suspended the driver, partner and assisted the local authorities with all necessary information required for their investigation,” the spokesperson said.
The statement claimed the rider was ‘satisfied’ with the company’s immediate assistance and action.