A cab driver, contracted to Uber, was arrested in Kolkata for an alleged obscene act in the presence of a woman passenger in the cab, police said late Tuesday.
A police officer said the 25-year-old woman, an employee of a shopping mall in Kolkata, complained that while travelling in the cab from Elgin Road to Netaji Nagar on July 8 she noticed through the looking glass that the driver was “masturbating with one hand and driving with the other”.
- Mumbai: Ola, Uber drivers threaten to go off roads
- Mumbai: strike to continue, say Ola, Uber drivers
- ‘70% drop in number of cab drivers seeking tourist permits in Mumbai’
- Mumbai: Ola and Uber drivers’ protest enters Day 8; strike may end today
- From Kurla to Sakinaka: Cab drivers to hold protest march today
- Uber driver dies of ‘heart attack’ in Mumbai; colleagues say was facing financial trouble
The driver, Pintu Yadav, was arrested on Monday night from Kustia Road under Tiljala police station after he was kept under watch for days, the police officer said.
Reacting to the development, Uber spokesperson Karun Arya said the driver has been suspended and the company assisted the local authorities with all information during the investigation.
“In this case, we immediately connected with our rider, suspended the driver, partner and assisted the local authorities with all necessary information required for their investigation,” the spokesperson said.
The statement claimed the rider was ‘satisfied’ with the company’s immediate assistance and action.