The body of a Trinamool Congress worker was recovered from his residence at Raghunathpalli under station limits in North-24 Parganas district Thursday.
The deceased, Prosenjit Das (30), was found in his room with injury marks on his neck and cigarette burns on his body.
A sharp weapon has also been recovered, police said, adding that his body has been sent to Barasat Hospital for post-mortem.
- Decomposed body found in Andheri: Two years on, police yet to identify victim
- Birbhum: Body of BJP worker found hanging
- BJP, TMC workers’ killing in West Bengal triggers fresh face-off between parties
- Three accused acquitted, death of factory worker remains a mystery five years on
- Extortion case: Wanted man found murdered, cops to probe complainant doctor
- West Bengal: Day after he went missing, TMC worker’s body found lying in field
According to Das’s family, he had interacted with them last night at around 11.30 pm. However, in the morning, his father found his room bolted from the outside. “When I went in, I saw him lying in a pool of blood,” he said.
“There can be possibility of the involvement of known persons because he had opened the door without any resistance last night,” said Kankarprasad Barui, DC, DD, Bidhannagar Police Commissionerate.
Sniffer dogs and forensic experts inspected the place as police started a suo moto case in the matter. It was found that the call list on Das’s mobile phone, which was recovered from the room, was deleted, Das was the supporter of Manish Mukherjee, councillor of Ward 9, Bidhannagar Municipal Corporation and had recently stopped an attempt to extort a local businessman.
Area locals said they had seen three individuals fleeing from the adjoining alley of Das’s residence.
“One of them was dressed in black and was wearing a handkerchief as a mask. I raised an alarm and his two other companions fled in the opposite direction,” one of Das’s neighbour said.