Bengali actor Locket Chatterjee on Thursday joined the BJP after quitting the Trinamool Congress. Chatterjee, who was a member of the state’s women commission, said she is also quitting the panel since she is no longer with the Trinamool.
On the occasion, state BJP president Rahul Sinha, referring to Chatterjee as “Didir Locket” — given her proximity to Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee — said: “This will boost the morale of party workers. Locket will also for campaign for our Bongaon and Krishnagunj candidates for the upcoming bypolls.”
Claiming that she was feeling suffocated in the Trinamool, Chatterjee said: “I had joined the Trinamool to work but certain incidents and circumstances made me feel suffocated. In my opinion, people in BJP are doing some constructive work and thus, I decided to join the party.”
- Former BJP MLA and now AAP leader, Kanubhai Kalsaria likely to join Congress
- Rahul Gandhi to meet Bengal leaders amid threat of TMC switch by MLAs
- BJP worker found hanging in Purulia: Father files petition in HC, demands CBI probe
- Trinamool Congress secretary general Partha Chatterjee: Results show people have faith in chief minister, they voted for development
- West Bengal: Keen to avoid Naxalbari embarrassment, Locket Chatterjee, BJP leaders spend time in Chetla
- BJP bid to march towards Mamata Banerjee’s residence foiled
Citing the Saradha scam and the recent death Salkia resident Arup Bandari, Chatterjee said: “Wherever we went, people asked us about Saradha — it is very disturbing for people like us, who have nothing to do with any chit fund company. People within the party cannot trust each other. So, that left me with two options. Either remain in the party and protest or leave and then protest.”
“I tried the first option and failed. Now, I have opted for the second option. The way I have left, others who are suffering in Trinamool should follow suit,” she added.
Sinha, while welcoming others too who wanted to join the BJP, said: “Those in the TMC who not involved in Saradha scam are feeling suffocated. They may come over to the BJP and get some oxygen.”