A 62-year-old former panchayat member of SUCI was allegedly beaten up with sticks and rods on Wednesday night following a dispute over possession of a water body at Raidighi area in South-24 Parganas district.
The deceased, identified as Santosh Mondal, was reportedly summoned by a kangaroo court over the dispute.
Sources said Mondal was beaten up at the kangaroo court.
- Pune: Cops arrest two for beating up man to death over auto fare
- West Bengal panchayat polls: In Bhangar, violence continues
- Panchayat polls: 14 killed, many injured as violence rocks Bengal
- West Bengal panchayat elections: To ensure there is a contest today, Opposition makes it TMC vs rest
- West Bengal panchayat polls: One killed in clash between BJP, TMC workers in Birbhum
- Poll panel asks DM,SP to explain firing at villagers
Following this, he was rushed to the Diamond Harbour Sub-Divisional Hospital.
However, he succumbed to his injuries early Thursday morning.
ASP (West) Chandra Sekhar Bardhan said the victim’s son has filed a complaint with the police and seven persons have been arrested in this regard.
SUCI, meanwhile, has called for a bandh in Raidighi on November 14.