Repolling will be held on Monday in 36 booths under 10 municipalities spread over five districts of West Bengal, the State Election Commission said on Sunday.
State Election Commissioner Susanta Ranjan Upadhaya said repoll will be held at six booths at Basirhat, five booths at Titagarh, eight booths each at Bhatpara and Katwa, three at Taki, two at Garulia and one booth each at Sainthia, Rampurhat, Maheshtala and Siliguri.
“Repolling will be held because of complaints received regarding looting and breaking of EVMs, booth capturing, tampering with web cams and others. We have received reports from district magistrates, poll observers, municipal returning officers and presiding officers. After tallying these with the complaints received from various parties, we decided on repoll,” Upadhaya said.
- Bypolls: Repoll in 123 polling booths of UP, Maharashtra, Nagaland today
- West Bengal panchayat elections: 68% voter turnout in repolls, voting more or less peaceful
- West Bengal Panchayat elections repoll LIVE: Police lathicharge as voters protest delay in poll process
- Repolling in 36 booths peaceful: SEC
- Final figure: 68.56% voted in KMC elections
- Proxy voting, booth capturing, confirms SEC
Central forces will also be used during repolls. Asked if he had any information regarding the murder of a Trinamool worker at Katwa during Saturday’s elections, Upadhaya said he has not received any official report.
He added that turnout for Saturday’s elections was 79 per cent. Poll figures from Birbhum, Hooghly and Nadia districts are yet to arrive.