State Education Minister Bratya Basu on Monday ordered two separate inquiries into the Sundays fiasco during the teacher recruitment examination conducted by the School Service Commission. With the SSC already beginning an internal probe,the total number of inquiries into the incident has gone up to three. The latest probes will be conducted by the school education department and the district administration where there were reports of mismanagement at the examination centres.
The announcement came after Basu was summoned by Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee at Writers Buildings today.
Meanwhile,the SSC announced that examination will be held again at five centres on September 2.
Chittaranajan Mondal,chairman of the SSC,who had earlier expressed reservation about conducting re-examination citing legal tangles,today said that the decision to hold the examination again was taken following the order of the chief minister and the education minister.
We will see to it that no candidates face any trouble during re-examination, Basu said.
Senior officials of the SSC,however,said they are still in dark on how the mismanagement happened. According to them,the different district administrations were alerted several times for coordinating with different schools for providing question papers on time. As per the norms,they said,question paper reaches treasury office 48 hours before the examination is scheduled to be held,and the SSC observer along with the officials of the district administration are responsible for distributing the question papers to different schools.
On Sunday,several centres across the state witnessed shortage or delay in distribution of question papers leading to the examination not being held at various places. At several centres,it has been alleged that school authorities had to get photocopies of the question paper due to its shortage. Police and RAF personnel had to be deployed at some of the centres in Burdwan,Howrah and Hooghly after candidates staged demonstration.