A fire broke out at a closed ice cream factory in Kidderpore area of the southern part of the metropolis today, officials said. Nobody was injured in the fire which broke out at about 9.45 am on the ground floor of the four-storey building, a fire department official said.
Three fire tenders were pressed into service and it was doused by 10.20 am, he said. The fire might have caused by sparks from a wielding work on the first floor of the building igniting some inflammable articles stacked inside the factory, he said.
“There was a huge smoke that engulfed the neighbourhood and as a precautionary measure we evacuated the residential buildings around it. The workers who were working on the first floor of the building were also rescued,” he said.