January 26, 2009 3:05:55 am
A 60-year-old man was killed while three others were injured in a fire that broke out inside a GLT Road apartment in Baranagars,North 24 Parganas,on Sunday.
According to the police,deceased Badal Dey and his three relatives Gopal,Nepal and Dipal Das were making fireworks inside a flat when suddenly a fire broke out following an explosion.
Locals rushed in after hearing the explosion,but thinking that an LPG cylinder had exploded; they started pouring water on the flames,a police officer said.
Four fire tenders from the Canal East Fire Station were pressed into service to douse the fire.
All the four were rescued,but Badal received serious burn injuries and was admitted to the Baranagar State General Hospital. He was later shifted to the RG Kar Hospital where he succumbed to his injuries.
The family used to manufacture firecrackers like tubri and rangmasal without taking adequate fire safety measures. With so many buildings constructed side by side,their negligence posed danger for the whole area, a local resident said.
Protesting against the incident,they also lodged a complaint against the three injured and their father Manik Das,the owner of the flat. Gopal and Dipak have been arrested, said Belghoria SDPO Asok Roy.
Meanwhile,in another incident,a fire broke out inside the Barasat court late on Saturday night,damaging documents and furniture in the building. However,nobody was hurt in the incident.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.