Fire crackers accidentally explode in Purulia house, tenants abscondinghttps://indianexpress.com/article/cities/kolkata/fire-crackers-accidentally-explode-in-purulia-house-tenants-absconding-2792450/

Fire crackers accidentally explode in Purulia house, tenants absconding

Purulia Superintendent of Police Roopesh Kumar said while no one has been injured in the incident, a police team has rushed to the spot and cordoned off the house.

FIRE CRACKERS stored in a house exploded on Monday morning ripping off the roof in Raghunathpur town in Purulia district. The blast caused a fire which spread to two rooms. Two fire tenders rushed to the spot and doused the flames.

Purulia Superintendent of Police Roopesh Kumar said while no one has been injured in the incident, a police team has rushed to the spot and cordoned off the house.

It was found out that the owner of the house, Amitava Goswami, had rented it out to two persons — one was his son-in-law Nitish Bandopadhyay and the other was Abdullah, a resident of Murshidabad. While Bandopadhyay was into fireworks’ business, Abdullah was a jeweller. Both of them have been absconding since the incident.

Police sources said the two had stored explosives to manufacture fireworks that was likely to be used for celebration after Assembly poll results are announced on May 19. The explosion might have been triggered off when someone might have casually thrown a lighted cigarette or bidi in the room.

[related-post]

Advertising

“Prima facie it looks like the explosion was caused by firecrackers stored in the room. The police are looking out for the tenants for detailed interrogation,” the SP said.

Neighbours said that the two accused were very reserved and hardly talked to anyone in the locality. Officers of Raghunathpur police station said they were looking at the possibility of the manufacturing of banned fireworks at the house, which may have been used as a workshop.