A day ahead of BJP national president Amit Shah’s visit to the state to take a stock of the membership drive and initiate the Maha Sampark Abhiyan, two groups in the party clashed on Monday at Sarat Sadan — the venue of Tuesday’s meeting.
The incident took place in the presence of BJP national secretary and Bengal co-observer Siddarth Nath Singh and joint general secretary (organisation) Shiv Prakash. The district leadership of the party, however, claimed that the leaders were beaten up by hired goons.
“It is very disappointing. It is not the culture of our party. We have seen this happening in Trinamool Congress, CPM and Congress but this is a new development in our party,” said Tushar Kanti Das, president of BJP Howrah Town district.
- Ahead of 2019 Lok Sabha polls: BJP plans visits by top leaders, participation in festival rallies
- CM Vasundhara Raje discusses organisational changes in Rajasthan BJP with Amit Shah
- TMC shames humanity again, tweets BJP chief Amit Shah on BJP worker’s death
- Amit Shah slams Mamata govt over violence in West Bengal, says BJP workers sacrifice won’t go in vain
- Former TMC minister joins BJP, boosting saffron party’s expansion drive in West Bengal
- BJP worker found hanging in Purulia: Father files petition in HC, demands CBI probe
He added: “A few leaders had gone to ask for tomorrow’s programme schedule but some goons, hired by some members of our own party, abused them and beat them up. Among the injured, Howrah Town district secretary Manimohan Bhattacharya is throwing up blood and has been taken to CMRI. Bally Mondal president Bipul Singh too has severe injuries.”
Asked if a police complaint has been lodged, Das said he has discussed the matter with state BJP president Rahul Sinha, who has asked them not to take up the matter. “He has assured that after tommorow’s event, he will take strict steps against the offenders,” he added.
BJP MLA Shamik Bhattacharya, who has rushed to the spot, however, refused to term it as a factional clash. “It is a minor fight, which is normal in any big family. There is nothing serious about it. I am here to look into it,” he said.