CITU also calls off transport strike

The CPM-backed trade union,CITU,which till Saturday remained firm on going ahead with the proposed July 31 transport strike,today withdrew its 24-hour statewide bandh call.

Written by Express News Service | Kolkata | Published: July 30, 2012 4:43:30 am

The CPM-backed trade union,CITU,which till Saturday remained firm on going ahead with the proposed July 31 transport strike,today withdrew its 24-hour statewide bandh call. This a day after all major transport operators decided to stay away from the proposed strike amid Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee’s stern warning that her government will take tough action against the striking transport owners. The CITU and other transport operators had called the strike last week demanding fare hike in the wake of rising fuel prices.

Shyamal Chakraborty,state president of CITU,while announcing the trade union’s decision said Left Front chairman Biman Bose had urged them to withdraw the strike. “We are withdrawing the strike after Left Front chairman urged us not to strike on July 31.” He said the CPM has decided to undertake a massive agitation from August 1 to August 3 against rising fuel prices,which made them reconsider their decision.

Stating that CITU’s U-turn had nothing to do with the chief minister’s warning,Chakraborty said: “We are not bowing to any pressure. You may think so,but we don’t. The chief minister only prefers to do drama,and criticizes us. She has failed to undertake any concrete action against the Centre.”

He added that the trade union will launch a dharna in Delhi against the “steep hike” in prices of petrol and diesel.

It may be recalled that just after the CITU and other transport operators decided to go on a strike,the chief minister had threatened to cancel the route permits of the striking buses. She had also threatened to stop giving Rs 600 crore subsidy to public transport corporations if they take part in the strike and would do whatever it took to foil the bandh.

Even among the Left Front partners there were reservations about CITU’s decision to call the strike. With many terming CITU’s decision as “unilateral”. Sharp differences had cropped up among the Left trade unions with CPI’s labour arm AITUC and RSP’s UTUC not supporting CITU’s decision. Ranjit Guha,state secretary of AITUC,said,“We do not support the strike as the decision was announced by the CITU without discussing with us. However,we will not oppose the strike too.”

Left Front chairman Biman Bose too had earlier expressed his disapproval,saying the CITU did not consult the party.

On Saturday,Joint Council of Bus Syndicates and Bengal Bus Syndicate — two major transport operators in the state — and the taxi unions,including Calcutta Taxi Association and Progressive Men’s taxi Association,deferred the proposed statewide strike after state Transport Minister Madan Mitra met their representatives.

Reacting on the CITU’s decision,Mitra said: “I think that after the chief minister’s stern action the CITU decided to withdraw the strike.”

If CITU threatened for an agitation then Trinamool-backed trade unions will also decide what they will do to stop harassment of the commuters,he added.

For all the latest Kolkata News, download Indian Express App

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement