Premium
This is an archive article published on September 26, 2024

Amid uproar, Transport Minister says no date fixed to discontinue trams: ‘I’m aware of people’s emotions’

Kolkata is the only city in the country where trams continue to operate. Last February, the city's iconic tram service celebrated 150 years of its first run. The first trams, drawn by horses, took to the city’s streets on February 24, 1873.

Snehashish Chakraborty, trams, Kolkata trams, discontinue trams, Calcutta High Court, Kolkata news, WEst Bengal news, Indian express, current affairsAt present, trams operate on only three routes in Kolkata

With tram lovers in Kolkata planning to hold protests over any move to discontinue its existing rudimentary services in the city, state Transport Minister Snehashish Chakraborty on Wednesday said that while the government is keen on discontinuing tramways from “most parts of Kolkata, there is no date fixed to do so”.

“We are not discontinuing tramways from today or tomorrow. We are aware of people’s emotions,” Chakraborty told The Indian Express. “Moreover, the matter is also pending in the Calcutta High Court. We will abide by what the court directs or orders,” Chakraborty said, referring to a PIL on plying the trams on the city roads.

Kolkata is the only city in the country where trams continue to operate. Last February, the city’s iconic tram service celebrated 150 years of its first run. The first trams, drawn by horses, took to the city’s streets on February 24, 1873.

At present, trams are operational on only three routes.

“Tramways are leading to traffic jams and road accidents. It is also not economically viable. Only the stretch at Maidan, Esplanade, and Khidirpur will remain (operational),” the minister said.

On Monday, while speaking to mediapersons, the minister had said that the trams will soon be limited to the heritage stretch of Maidan and Esplanade, saying: “Roads comprise only 6 per cent of Kolkata’s surface area and with increase in vehicular traffic, we have observed that trams cannot ply the roads along the same routes at the same time as it is leading to congestion.”

Sharply reacting to the minister’s remark, the Calcutta Tram Users Association (CUTA) said it will hold demonstrations before five tram depots across the city in protest. The association has also launched a hashtag campaign on social media.

The High Court, while hearing a PIL, had last December suggested that a public-private partnership (PPP) model can be used to restore and rejuvenate tramcar services in Kolkata.

Story continues below this ad

The proposed policy of curtailing tram services is facing stiff opposition from heritage conservationists and other organisations. A coalition of tram, cycle,  environment-focused organisations, along with city dwellers, staged a protest at the Calcutta Press Club earlier this year, demanding reinstatement of trams in Kolkata.

In 1895, Madras (the present-day Chennai) saw India’s first electric tramways enter service with seven cars. It soon became a popular mode of urban transport in big cities of Delhi, Mumbai, as well as smaller towns such as Nasik, Patna and Bhavnagar. Unlike steam locomotives, these were far cleaner and less noisy, and thus immediately became a preferred option.By 1902,  Calcutta saw its first electric tramcars, plying between Esplanade and Kidderpore, and Esplanade and Kalighat. After Independence, most cities gradually discontinued tram services. In the last two decades, Kolkata has also slowly minimised them.

Ravik Bhattacharya is the Chief of Bureau of The Indian Express, Kolkata. Over 20 years of experience in the media industry and covered politics, crime, major incidents and issues, apart from investigative stories in West Bengal, Odisha, Assam and Andaman Nicobar islands. Ravik won the Ramnath Goenka Excellence in Journalism Award in 2007 for political reporting. Ravik holds a bachelor degree with English Hons from Scottish Church College under Calcutta University and a PG diploma in mass communication from Jadavpur University. Ravik started his career with The Asian Age and then moved to The Statesman, The Telegraph and Hindustan Times. ... Read More

Atri Mitra is a Special Correspondent of The Indian Express with more than 20 years of experience in reporting from West Bengal, Bihar and the North-East. He has been covering administration and political news for more than ten years and has a keen interest in political development in West Bengal. Atri holds a Master degree in Economics from Rabindrabharati University and Bachelor's degree from Calcutta University. He is also an alumnus of St. Xavier's, Kolkata and Ramakrishna Mission Asrama, Narendrapur. He started his career with leading vernacular daily the Anandabazar Patrika, and worked there for more than fifteen years. He worked as Bihar correspondent for more than three years for Anandabazar Patrika. He covered the 2009 Lok Sabha election and 2010 assembly elections. He also worked with News18-Bangla and covered the Bihar Lok Sabha election in 2019. ... Read More

Stay updated with the latest - Click here to follow us on Instagram

Latest Comment
Post Comment
Read Comments
Advertisement
Loading Taboola...
Advertisement