A team of National Commission for Women (NCW) Saturday visited the convent school at Ranaghat in Nadia district, where a 71-year-old nun was allegedly raped, and held the West Bengal responsible for its police’s failure to make arrests in the case even after a week.
“If no one has been arrested yet, we need to ask the question, why? It is all the more disturbing because the offenders were captured on CCTV,” said Shamina Shafique, secretary for West Bengal, NCW.
Asked if it was the fault of the state administration, she said, “Definitely it is the fault of the state.”
“It is a very unfortunate incident, it should not have happened,” said Shafique, who led the three-member team and spent over an hour at the convent.
Later Shafique, who held a meeting with the Nadia Superintendent of Police Arnab Ghosh, blamed the police for not following up a complaint lodged by the convent authorities before the rape.
The convent authority had been threatened before Holi and it had lodged the complaint, which she alleged, were not followed up by the police. “Now the convent authorities and the students are in a state of panic,” she told newsmen.
Shafiq said she had sought recruitment of a police officer who would send reports on the progress of the nun rape case to NCW from time to time.
No arrest have been made in the March 14 incident though 17 persons have been detained. The nun, who was was discharged from hospital in the wee hours Friday, had left the state for an undisclosed destination.
The state government had initially ordered a CID probe but decided to hand over the case to CBI as the accused were suspected to have fled to Bangladesh. The central probe agency is yet to formally take charge of the case.
Meanwhile, state CID officials are likely to question officers at Gagnapur police station who were on patrol duty that night.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines