While thousands of parents returned home dejected,the luckier ones rejoiced as schools across the Capital released the first list of nursery admission results on Tuesday. A chunk of the seats in private unaided schools were hijacked (as termed by parents who applied for their childrens admission in the general category) by those who applied under the sibling,alumni and neighbourhood categories. However,others still have their hopes pinned on schools that did not announce their final decision on Tuesday,despite a government order to do so.
Education officials have warned of action against schools that missed the deadline without a valid reason.
Parents could be seen queuing up outside schools on Tuesday,scanning bulletin boards to locate their childrens names. Suresh Kumar,who stays at Tilak Marg in Central Delhi,said,I took half-day leave from office today,and visited four schools before coming here. I have to go to the other two. My daughters name is not in this list.
Newsline had found the crestfallen Kumar outside the R S Junior Modern School on Humayun Road. He complained,Neither do I qualify for alumni and sibling points,nor do I get points allotted by schools for distance from the school. I have no idea what to do now. I am sad today. Let me see what happens now.
D K Bedi,principal of Apeejay School at Pitampura,said the nursery admission season this year was full of hardships for parents,especially those who had to apply in the general category.
Mothers International School on Aurobindo Marg,Springdales School on Pusa Road and R S Modern School in Vasant Vihar were a few schools that did not admit even a single student who did not fall in any of these criteria. While announcing the new admission criteria in December last year,education officials had said that schools will reserve 75 per cent of the total seats for fee-paying students,and the rest for those from economically weaker sections. Education minister Arvinder Singh Lovely had said back then that at least 20 per cent of the seats set aside for fee-paying students would be reserved for applicants,who do not fall under any of the various preferred criteria.
Speaking on the matter on Tuesday,he said: I did say I expected schools to reserve at least 20 per cent seats for such applicants. As the Education minister,it is my responsibility to see that no child in Delhi remains admission-less. I cannot ensure the choice of school,but I can assure parents that no child will be admission-less. They can write to me if they have any complaints. I think parents should wait for the second list.
Mahima Malik from Patel Nagar,who applied for her sons admission at St Thomas School in Karol Bagh,said,The list is full of people who are either alumni members or have siblings in the school. I am really tense now. I have checked the websites of other schools too,but I cant find my sons name anywhere.
I studied at a convent school in Agra. But why should my child suffer just because I did not study in a Delhi school?
After the Delhi government gave the green signal to private schools to frame their own criteria for pre-school admissions this year,private schools decided to stick to the 100-point system formulated by the Ganguly Committee.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines