A 25-year-old youth tried to set himself ablaze outside Home Minister Rajnath Singh’s residence at Ashoka Road here these evening in the heart of the national capital.
According to police, the incident took place around 5:15 pm when the youth, who was later identified as Dabbu poured kerosene and tried to self-immolate near the railing.
- Seen thrashing woman on video, Delhi cop’s son charged with rape, assault
- Arrests of activists: Won’t put lid on pressure cooker but can’t disrupt govt, says Rajnath Singh
- Scholars, Islamic clerics to be part of counter-terror plan: Rajnath Singh
- Kapurthala: Man sets self, wife and two kids ablaze
- Assam NRC draft: Opposition parties target govt in Parliament, cite ‘human rights’
- Rajnath Singh interview: ‘Opposition parties need each other’s support… we are not scared’
“Security personnel deployed at Home Minister’s residence quickly overpowered him before he could set himself afire. He was taken to RML hospital in a semi-conscious state. We are waiting for him to come to senses so that we can record his statement and know the reason behind his step,” said a senior police official.
There were cut marks on his hands and we have asked doctors to see whether he was under the influence of alcohol when the incident took place. Further investigations are underway, he added.