Follow Us:
Saturday, July 21, 2018

Youth bleeds to death as cops ‘bicker over jurisdiction’

Squabbling policemen allegedly led to the death of a 22-year-old man,who had met with an accident in Patel Nagar area.

Written by Express News Service | New Delhi | Published: March 2, 2009 2:21:00 am

Squabbling policemen allegedly led to the death of a 22-year-old man,who had met with an accident in Patel Nagar area.

The deceased,identified as Vicky,was riding his motorcycle on Saturday night when he rammed into a tempo.

According to his family,officers of the Patel Nagar and Naraina police stations kept fighting over the jurisdiction of the accident spot while the victim lay bleeding.

“Instead of rushing the injured to a nearby hospital,policemen from Patel Nagar and Naraina kept arguing,” said Sonu,who was riding pillion on Vicky’s bike.

Senior police officers have,however,denied the allegations claiming the Patel Nagar police reached the spot immediately after receiving a call.

The incident occurred around 10 pm near the Satya Park police picket. Vicky,with two friends riding pillion,was heading towards Naraina.

“We did not find helmets at the spot,which suggests that they were not wearing any. Vicky sustained serious injuries and was rushed to nearby Jankidas Kapur Hospital,where doctors declared him dead on arrival. The other two were discharged after first aid,” police officers maintained.

Friends of the deceased who were with him when the accident took place,however,narrated a different story.

Sonu said that two policemen from the Satya Park police picket made a PCR call,after which four PCR vans reached the spot. All of them left saying the spot is not under their jurisdiction. The cops,he alleged,refused to take Vicky to the hospital.

“I informed my friends and family who then rushed us to Jankidas Kapur Hospital,where the doctors refused to admit Vicky saying it was a police case,” added Sonu.

When contacted,the hospital administration denied the allegations. “He was already dead when he was brought to our hospital. Some of the people accompanying Vicky seemed to be in an inebriated condition. I asked them to take the victim to a government hospital,” said the doctor on duty,on condition of anonymity

The body was handed over to the family after the postmortem examination at Deen Dayal Upadhyay Hospital.

Vicky worked in a call centre while his father,Subhash runs a provisional store in the area,the police said.

For all the latest Delhi News, download Indian Express App