A 42-year-old woman died on Sunday after she jumped before a Metro train in Janakpuri East station on the Blue Line. Police said they found a suicide note, in which she cited health issues for taking the extreme step.
Police identified the woman as Resham Sharma. The incident took place at 3.45 pm. She jumped before a train travelling towards Dwarka. The woman was rushed to hospital, where she was declared dead on arrival, police said.
In the suicide note, the victim mentioned that she was a resident of Uttam Nagar. “She said she was suffering from acute depression. Her eyesight was failing and she has not been able to conceive,” a senior police officer said.
- Lesbian couple commits suicide after throwing baby in river
- #LiveThroughThis: Fighting depression? Read these inspiring Twitter tales on #MentalHealthMatters
- 15-year-old, her cousin hit by train near Delhi’s Tughlakabad, cops suspect suicide pact
- Tamil Nadu: Woman, two children jump before train
- Uttar Pradesh: Two class XII students dead, police suspect suicide
- V6 channel news anchor Radhika Reddy allegedly commits suicide in Hyderabad
Police informed her family and sent the body for a postmortem examination.
Last week, in what appeared to be a suicide attempt, a 21-year-old woman jumped in front of a Metro train and severed her right hand.
Police said they received a call at the Police Control Room (PCR) at 10.40 am that a woman had come under a Metro train at the Arjan Garh station.
“By the time police reached the station, the woman had been rescued. She was on a stretcher. We immediately put the stretcher in a PCR van and took her to hospital,” said a police officer.
“Inside the van, we realised that her right hand was missing. We then called a CATS ambulance,” said the officer.
Deputy Commissioner of Police (PCR) R K Singh said PCR staff then rushed to the Metro station again to look for her severed hand. “The hand was found and then taken to Fortis Hospital, where it was handed to doctors,” he said.
Singh said the woman was later referred to the AIIMS Trauma Centre, where she was operated.