Follow Us:
Friday, July 20, 2018

Wife, her juvenile lover arrested for killing Air Force sergeant

Post-mortem report, along with other evidence, helped police establish that he had been murdered by his wife with the help of the juvenile.

By: Express News Service | New Delhi | Updated: May 11, 2014 11:15:02 am
Sudha Gupta in custody on Saturday. (Prem Nath Pandey) Sudha Gupta in custody on Saturday. (Prem Nath Pandey)

A 28-year-old woman was arrested on Thursday and a juvenile,  with whom she was having an affair, was detained for the murder of her husband, an IAF sergeant, police said.

The sergeant died on April 10 of a suspected cardiac arrest. But the post-mortem report, along with other evidence, helped police establish that he had been murdered by his wife with the help of the juvenile.

Police said Sudha Gupta strangled her husband because she was having an affair with a 17-year-old boy.   On April 10, the Delhi Cantonment police station received a call from the Station Medical Centre of the Western Air Command, about the death of Sergeant Ramesh Chandra (40). Police were told that he had died of a cardiac arrest.

On reaching the hospital, police questioned his wife Sudha about the circumstances leading to his death. Her story of how her husband suffered severe chest pain for over 12 hours which ended with his death would have convinced police had it not been for a letter found in Chandra’s pocket. In the letter, addressed to his commanding officer, Chandra said in the event of his death, his property and money was to be divided equally between his daughter and charity.

This was the first clue in what was to become a month-long investigation.  “When we began questioning Sudha, she did not appear to be in mourning. She was nervous and this made us look at the case closely. A juvenile, who was also her neighbour, was at the hospital. We heard of her extra-marital affair with the boy from others. We sent the body for an autopsy and began a probe,” a police officer said.

In mid-April, police found out that Sudha had left her Subroto Park residence and moved into a house in Vasant Kunj with the boy. She left her three-year-old daughter at her father’s house.  The investigating officer of the case, Sub Inspector  K B Jha, also learnt about Sudha’s visit to Amritsar with the juvenile days after her husband’s  death. Her phone call details revealed that in the last 20 days, she had spoken to the boy around 1,500 times, which raised suspicion.

On May 6, police received the post-mortem report from Safdarjung hospital. The cause of death was given as “death due to asphyxia caused by throbbing of throat which is ante-mortem”.

“We called Sudha for questioning and asked her if anyone had entered the house and strangled her husband. She said the door of the house was locked. We quizzed her about her relationship with the juvenile and asked her to explain the 1,500 calls, her Amritsar visit and her decision to move in with the boy. She broke down and admitted to having killed her husband,” the officer said.  Sudha reportedly told police that she was in a relationship with the juvenile for the last six months. She had met him while teaching at a coaching institute near her colony. She told police that she was unhappy with her marriage and had planned the murder for over a month.

She told police that on April 10, as Chandra was leaving for office, he complained of dizziness and decided to take a nap. Sensing an opportunity, Sudha called the juvenile to her home and strangled her husband, police said.  Police suspect that Chandra may have been sedated. His blood samples have been sent to the Forensic Science Laboratory to verify this.  Police said Sudha will be produced before a city court on Sunday. The juvenile has been sent to a shelter home.

For all the latest Delhi News, download Indian Express App