A woman and her two daughters died after a fire broke out in their house following a suspected gas leakage in northwest Delhi’s Jahangirpuri area, police said on July 6.
The deceased have been identified as Mithlesh Devi (42) and her daughters, Kavita (15) and Anjali (20). Anjali was married around four months ago and was reportedly pregnant, relatives of the family told police.
The fire broke out around 9 pm on Tuesday when Mithlesh was cooking dinner, with Anjali and Kavita assisting her in the kitchen. While Mithlesh’s husband, son and daughter-in-law managed to flee from the house, the three in the kitchen got trapped, a police official said.
- Odisha woman dies of burns, kin allege dowry killing
- Five of family found unconscious in their Alibaug home
- Delhi: 9-year-old girl found dead inside locked room
- Man pours acid on wife, kills himself; two daughters also injured: Police
- Delhi: Couple, their two children dead as fire engulfs building in Pitampura
- Asansol violence: Woman goes to cops for help, ‘run over by police car’
The fire is suspected to have spread because of a gas leakage. Neighbours called up police and fire services and rushed to help the family.
Mithlesh and her daughters were charred to death, the official said.
Anjali was married to an e-rickshaw driver, who lived in the neighbouring locality. She had come to visit her family and was helping her mother in the kitchen, the official said.
A case has been registered and the matter is being looked into, the official added.