Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on Tuesday continued to target a section of the media, accusing it of maligning AAP and singling out children and wives of party leaders, days after he advocating a “public trial” of the fourth estate which drew criticism.
He said a section of the media was running a persistent campaign to defame AAP after it got an overwhelming mandate in the Delhi Assembly polls and that henceforth, AAP will maintain silence on issues other than those relating to government.
- Delhi: Arvind Kejriwal, Manish Sisodia likely to meet LG today to discuss verdict
- Delhi Chief Minister vs L-G: A timeline of the tussle since Kejriwal took office
- AAP-LG standoff: Kejriwal calls up Uddhav, Shiv Sena backs Delhi CM over sit-in
- ‘Dictatorial Centre made a mockery of democracy’: What political leaders said on AAP-LG standoff
- Toothbrushes, mattresses and files for Arvind Kejriwal as L-G office sit-in enters day three
- CM Arvind Kejriwal, former CM Sheila Dikshit spar over Delhi’s statehood
Kejriwal’s comments comes in the wake of a complaint by a woman party volunteer accusing senior leader Kumar Vishwas of not rebutting “rumours” about an illicit liaison with her following which he and his wife was issued summons by the Delhi Commission for Women.
“Few media houses are maligning our party’s image day and night in the past few months. I am deeply hurt. So we have decided to go silent. We will answer questions only on government and work being done by us. Have no replies to other questions,” he said.
He also expressed anguish over media purportedly “dragging” the families of the party leaders in the public domain. “Is this journalism?” “Your fight is with us. Please spare our wives and children. How long we will continue to give explanations,” he said.
Kejriwal also sought to defend Vishwas saying “everyone is saying there is no illicit relationship”. “Both of them (Vishwas and the woman) are saying there is
no illicit relationship but still channels are running all sorts of things. Even Kumar’s daughter is unable to attend school as she is facing questions there. The whole family has gone into depression,” he said.