The Ghaziabad Police arrested Harendra Kharkhari —- wanted in connection with at least a dozen criminal cases across Uttar Pradesh —- after a shootout in the Kavinagar area of Ghaziabad on Friday afternoon. Police had announced a reward of Rs 50,000 for his arrest.
Police claimed that though over 40 rounds of fire were exchanged, no one was injured.
Kharkhari’s two accomplices have also been taken into custody. Senior police officers said during investigation, it was revealed that Kharkhari’s gang was involved in a murder in Loni two days ago.
- Rohtak honour killing: Victim’s cousin, shooter among three arrested, say police
- Man involved in stealing 500 luxury cars held in Delhi
- Punjab Police arrest 11 members of Bambiha gang, recover weapons
- Punjab: Wanted suspect in murder of Rupinder Gandhi’s brother found dead in Canada
- From Boys to Gangsters: The ones who got caught
- Five members of Bishnoi-Nehra gang still at large, police hot on their heels
Police said they were also successful in preventing the planned murder of one Prashant Pandit, a rival gang member. “We received information that Kharkhari was going to attack Pandit when he was produced before the court. So a team led by the SP (City) Ajay Pal Sharma laid a trap and arrested Kharkhari and his two accomplices,” Ghaziabad SSP Dharmender Singh said.
SP Ajay Pal Singh said, “We were checking vehicles after we received a tip-off on Kharkhari. I was there when the shootout took place. A number of rounds were fired, but most of them hit vehicles.”
“Eventually, the accused were cornered by police and Kharkhari and his associates were arrested. He is wanted in a number of cases, including murder, kidnap and extortion in several districts. We also recovered a huge cache of weapons — a semi-automatic weapon, a sten gun, two 9mm pistols and ammunition,” Dharmender Singh said.