Updated: April 12, 2021 2:24:53 am
Two sisters, aged 2 and 6, died in a fire that broke out at a JJ cluster in Bahlolpur village, Noida Phase III, on Sunday afternoon. According to Noida police, around 163 shanties were gutted.
The victims were identified as Paro (2) and Doldol (6), daughters of a migrant labourer, Shravan, from Bihar. All the shanties in the area were occupied by migrant labourers from Bihar, Jharkhand and Chhattisgarh who worked in the industrial area in the region.
Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath expressed his condolences and announced compensation of Rs 8 lakh for the family.
Harish Chander, DCP Central Noida, said: “Several fire tenders were rushed to the spot and the fire was doused in a few hours. We found bodies of two minors who, it appears, were asleep when the fire broke out. The bodies are being sent for a post mortem.”
According to police, the cause of the fire prima facie appears to have been caused by a short circuit or a cylinder that burst. Locals, meanwhile, alleged that a person left the gas on at their home which led to the massive fire.
In the evening, the administration and NGOs provided food and blankets to those affected.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.