November 29, 2013 1:09:55 am
Two men died after they inhaled poisonous gases while cleaning a sewer line in Beverly Park,on MG Road in Gurgaon on Thursday. Police said two supervisors were arrested and charged with negligence.
Police said four men were sent by their contractor to check the status of the central sewer line in Beverly Park. The two who died were identified as Ravinder and Rakesh.
CB Singh,the estate manager,said,I saw Ravinder (22) go in first. When I asked why they were entering the manhole without proper sewage removal tools,they said they had been ordered to open the line by their supervisors. In 20 minutes,as Ravinder was coming out,he said he was feeling dizzy as the line was extremely gaseous. In seconds,he fainted and dropped inside the manhole. I immediately informed police.
ACP (East) Daljit Singh said,Ravinder fell and Rakesh (30) went in to save him. Two more men jumped in to save them. When none of them came out by 10 am,the estate manager called up the police. Then,they were pulled out.
Singh said Ravinder and Rakesh died on the spot while the other two were taken to a hospital. A case under IPC Section 304 (2) (negligence) has been registered against the contractors of Neelgagan,Subhash and Naveen, Singh said.
Doctors who conducted the post-mortem examinations said the two had died of asphyxiation and inhaling carbon monoxide and hydrogen sulphide. In such cases,the victim faints and may die depending on the intake, Dr Deepak Mathur from Gurgaon Civil Hospital said.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.