Arjun, the 15-year-old boy who was shot in the jaw during crossfire between rioters and police in the Trilokpuri clashes, is out of danger after a successful surgery.
However, his family said he is paralysed on one side. Doctors said he will be cured though the treatment will take some time.
Arjun was critical when he was admitted in a private hospital after the incident. “My son is out of danger and is recovering. He has been shifted from the ICU to a special ward in Max hospital,” Arjun’s father Ramesh said.
Arjun and his friend Ajeet were returning home from tuition classes on October 24, when they were hit by bullets that were allegedly fired by policemen to disperse rioters. Ajeet was shot in the back while Arjun took a bullet in the jaw, right outside Block 28 where they live.
Ajeet, who was admitted to GTB hospital, was declared out of danger a couple of days after the incident. However, doctors had said Arjun had a 30 per cent chance of survival.
BJP counsellor (Pushp Vihar) M Nagarajan, who has been supporting the family, said, “Police and the central government, especially the Health ministry, helped the family by bearing the cost of Arjun’s treatment. All our prayers have been with them. Arjun is recovering after the operation.”
Arjun’s mother, Malhar, had earlier told Newsline that she had witnessed an officer fire from his gun to disperse the crowd.
“Around 12 rounds were fired by police in and around Block 28. I saw one bullet hit my son and another hit his friend when they crossed over from Block 34,” she had said.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines