scorecardresearch
Follow Us:
Thursday, May 13, 2021

Three labourers from Bihar die of electrocution,building owner booked

Three labourers,all of them hailing from Barhera in Bihar,were electrocuted at their rented accommodation in Aman Vihar on Tuesday night.

Written by Dipankar Ghose | New Delhi |
July 22, 2011 1:28:55 am

After the incident,NDPL pastes a notice stating that power connection to the building has been cut

Three labourers,all of them hailing from Barhera in Bihar,were electrocuted at their rented accommodation in Aman Vihar on Tuesday night. They have been identified as Chandeshwar Kumar(32),Purnawasi Kumar (18) and Dhananjay Kumar (18).

According to police,the

incident occurred when the three returned from the shoe factory at Nangloi,where they were employed,around 8.30 pm. The victims reportedly noticed a naked wire,which used to hang from the first floor room,lying on the ground.

Recalling the incident,Purnawasi’s brother Umesh Kumar said,“The roof was broken and,because of the rains,there was water on the floor. The moment Chandeshwar stepped into the room,he fell on the ground.”

When Purnawasi and Dhananjay stepped inside to help Chandeshwar,they also fell. “When I tried to help them,I felt a shock run through my body. I sprang back,” said Umesh.

However,by the time he could rescue the others,it was too late. The three were taken to the Ambedkar Hospital,where they were declared dead on arrival.

Police said that the owner of the building,Shailendra Kumar Mishra,had been warned repeatedly about the wires hanging in the room. “The deaths have been caused because of the landlord’s negligence,” said B S Jaiswal,Deputy Commissioner of Police (Outer).

A case under Section 304(a) of the Indian Penal Code (causing death due to a rash and negligent act) has been filed against Mishra.

Ironically,the New Delhi Power Limited (NDPL) has now pasted a notice on the door of the building where the incident occurred,stating that it has discontinued electricity supply to the structure. An inspection conducted on the night of July 19 had found that the internal wiring in the building was unsafe,it states,adding,“Electric supply lines,wires,and fittings are lying in a haphazard manner,posing a danger to human life.”

When asked why the connection was not cut earlier,Ajay Maharaj,Public Relations Officer,NDPL,said: “The condition of the wires inside the house is not NDPL’s responsibility. We only take care of the wiring of the electricity meter. After we were contacted on Tuesday night by the police,we immediately sent a team and they noticed the violations.”

The incident also saw Asha Devi,Janata Dal (United) MLA from Barhera,coming to Delhi. “They were poor labourers from my constituency. I came because their families complained that the authorities were not cooperating,” she said.

📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines

For all the latest Delhi News, download Indian Express App.

  • The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
x