Talwars ask court to summon 11 cops,doctor as witnesses

The counsel representing Rajesh and Nupur Talwar moved an application in a sessions court in Ghaziabad on Tuesday,asking for 12 persons to be summoned for testimony as court witnesses.

Written by Dipankar Ghose | Ghaziabad | Published: May 1, 2013 2:47:29 am

The counsel representing Rajesh and Nupur Talwar moved an application in a sessions court in Ghaziabad on Tuesday,asking for 12 persons to be summoned for testimony as court witnesses.

The list of persons includes Arun Kumar,Joint Director of the CBI in May 2008,when Aarushi Talwar,the daughter of Rajesh and Nupur,and their domestic aide Hemraj were found murdered.

The couple are now standing trial for the double murder that took place on the intervening night of May 15 and 16,2008. Kumar was Joint Director when the first CBI team was formed to investigate the murder.

Apart from Arun Kumar,those mentioned in the application include Y C Sharma,P C Tanwar,H S Sachan,R S Kureel,Sunita Rana,Pankaj Bansal,Mukesh Sharma,Sasi Devi,Naresh Indora,Vijay Kumar Sahu and Dr Richa Saxena. Other than Saxena,others on the list are all police personnel,employed with either the CBI or Noida Police.

Talwars’ counsel Manoj Sisodia said: “Arun Kumar is an extremely important witness in the case,and had in 2008,said in a press conference that no evidence was found against Rajesh Talwar. Since he has not been examined thus far,we have asked the court to summon him as a court witness. The rationale for submitting this application on Kumar and others on this list is that if the court deems fit to call them as witnesses,we will get to cross examine them.”

The court of Additional Sessions Judge Shyam Lal has invited an objection from the CBI,in case the investigating agency wishes to file one,on May 2.

Last week,the last prosecution witness,A G L Kaul,had appeared before court,and in his testimony had said that during his investigations he found that Rajesh and Nupur Talwar had killed both Aarushi and Hemraj. He also said while he wanted to file a chargesheet in the case,but his seniors did not think there was sufficient evidence,which is why a closure report was filed. In February 2011,a special CBI court rejected the closure report and named Rajesh and Nupur as co-accused in the case.

For all the latest Delhi News, download Indian Express App

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement