Students of a aided school came to meet Deputy Chief Minister and Education Minister Manish Sisodia on Tuesday after it was alleged that the school had deliberately failed the students in Class IX examination.
The students of Salwan Girls Senior Secondary School in Old Rajinder Nagar waited in the secretariat for an hour and was attended to by officials.
“We passed the examinations but our marks were reduced using a correction pen to mark us as failed. Nearly 120 students of Class IX were failed in this manner,” one of the students who had come to meet the minister said. The results of Class IX compartment exams came out last week.
A parent alleged that the students have been deliberately failed because the school does not have classes to accommodate all 250 students.
Meanwhile, the government assured the parents that a group of teachers that it had shortlisted will recheck the answer sheets and, if necessary, a retest will be conducted which will be closely monitored by the staff chosen by the Directorate of Education.
One of the students alleged that when asked for a recheck, the teachers threatened them saying they will be failed again.
However, according to school authorities, the school did show the students their answer sheets, but the students still persisted on going to Sisodia.
“No school wants to fail its children. But the truth is that these students failed the exams. Up to Class VIII, we are not allowed to fail any student. The children’s knowledge is not up to the mark. We can’t do anything about it,” Major General (Retd) N Khanna, Director of Salwan Girls Senior Secondary School, said.
“We have been told that independent teachers from outside will now be reassessing the marksheets. We are okay with that as well,” Khanna said.