Follow Us:
Thursday, January 27, 2022

Stringing his final moments,police question NGO chief Anwar’s friends

Anwar,who headed the Institute for Social Democracy,allegedly jumped from the fourth floor of an apartment block in Vasant Kunj,south Delhi.

Written by Shalini Narayan | New Delhi |
December 21, 2013 2:00:49 am

Investigations into the death of Khurshid Anwar,executive director of a non-governmental organisation who was accused of rape,have revealed that he last spoke to a friend in Uttar Pradesh the night before he jumped to his death,police said on Friday.

According to police,Anwar was on the phone with a friend around 11 pm on December 17,the day he was booked for rape on the basis of a complaint lodged by a 24-year-old woman. Police have sent a team to question the friend.

Anwar,who headed the Institute for Social Democracy,allegedly jumped from the fourth floor of an apartment block in Vasant Kunj,south Delhi. The 55-year-old had been named in a rape FIR,registered at the Vasant Kunj (North) police station after a complaint was forwarded by the National Commission for Women.

The complainant works for a different NGO and had met Anwar when protests were being staged over the Muzaffarnagar riots,police said. She alleged that Anwar raped her on September 12 after inviting her home for a party. In her complaint,she alleged that Anwar spiked her drink and assaulted her after she passed out.

Her complaint was later videotaped in the office of activist Madhu Kishwar. The matter was then referred to the National Commission for Women which forwarded it to the police. A police team has reached the complainant’s home town to record her statement.

Police have also asked two TV channels to provide them copies of a CD in which the woman is said to have named Anwar and given an account of all that transpired at his home in September.

Police said one of the TV channels aired parts of the videotape on December 16 and this upset Anwar a great deal. He spoke to friends and one of them called him over to his house in Dwarka Sector 10. The friend told Anwar he could spend the night there.

The next day,another TV channel ran the same videotape and Anwar began receiving phone calls. Upset,Anwar switched off his phones and removed the SIM cards. Police said Anwar did make one last call to a friend in Uttar Pradesh.

On December 18,Anwar left his friend’s house,saying he was going for a walk. But he headed home to Vasant Kunj. When he reached his apartment,he realised he had left the door key in Dwarka. He told a neighbour who said he would get a car to bring the key.

According to police,it was then that Anwar jumped off the apartment block. Police have seized his mobile phones and laptop. He had used his mobile phone to record the programme that one of the TV channels ran on him,police said.

📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines

For all the latest Delhi News, download Indian Express App.

  • Newsguard
  • The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
  • Newsguard