Siddharth Sharma would have turned 33 Sunday had he not been mowed down in April by a Mercedes being allegedly driven by a juvenile four days short of turning 18 years old. Sharma’s family members and friends gathered in Civil Lines during the day for his birthday and held a meeting.
A few kilometres away, outside Civil Lines police station stood the Mercedes that struck Sharma on April 4 at about 8.30 pm, tossing him in the air. Sharma, a business consultant heading home after having food at an eatery, fell a some metres away after being hit by the car at Shyam Nath Marg under Civil Lines police station limits.
The Mercedes, brought to the police station the same evening, is a vital evidence in the case in which the accused juvenile is likely to face trial before a Sessions court as an adult. JJB Principal Judge Vishal Singh on Saturday accepted Delhi Police application to treat the juvenile as an adult and hold a trial.
- Mercedes hit-and-run: Police seek time to investigate ‘forged licence’ shown by teen
- Mercedes hit-and-run case: JJB accepts cop plea, juvenile could be first to be tried as adult
- Delhi Mercedes hit-and-run case: Juvenile Justice Board to pronounce order today
- Mercedes hit-and-run: Siddharth Sharma’s family holds ‘Peace Meet’ to demand justice
- Mercedes hit-and-run case: ‘Dummy’ family driver arrested
- Delhi hit-and-run case: Juvenile had crashed Mercedes in Feb, his father arrested
“Kal toh faisla ayaa hai kucch is gadi wale mamle mein… yeh gadi to barbaad hai ab (yesterday some court order came in this matter… This car is completely destroyed now),” said a police constable, pointing to the vehicle gathering dust. The tyres on one side were flat and cobwebs were spotted all over the car. The constable said he was keeping an eye on the car because it was case property.
A dent is visible on car’s bonnet to the right, its headlight is sunk and and the right rearview mirror is also damaged. The car may be taken to the court during trial if it wants to examine the vehicle, said a police officer.
In the chargesheet before the court, police have stated the same car was driven regularly by the juvenile to his school and back home. Police said he had been driving the car for the last three years and repeatedly involved in incidents of negligent and rash driving.
Police also said in the chargesheet that the juvenile was warned by policemen not to drive the vehicle, but he did not heed the warning and continued driving rashly, recklessly and negligently at a high speed of 100 kmph even where the speed limit was 50 km per house for four-wheelers. Sources said the car was gifted to the juvenile by his father on one of his birthdays, but was registered in the name their company.