scorecardresearch
Follow Us:
Thursday, September 23, 2021

‘Serial rapist’ sent to Tihar, plea for police custody rejected

Police said Ravinder Kumar had admitted to committing two such crimes in Bahadurgarh area and it needed custody of the accused to identify the sites of the alleged crime.

Written by Kaunain Sheriff M | New Delhi |
July 24, 2015 3:09:58 am
Ravinder Kumar, serial rapist Ravinder Kumar, Ravinder Kumar Tihar jail, Delhi high court, delhi serial rapist, delhi police, serial rapist family, Ravinder Kumar, Ravinder Kumar family, delhi rapist, minor girl rapist, sexual assault, Minors girls murder, minor girls assault, Ravider kumar rapist, Ravinder kumar murderer, Delhi news Delhi Police told the court that Ravinder Kumar had admitted to raping and murdering 16 more minors, taking the total number of minors killed by him to 27. (Source: Express photo by Amit Mehra)

A Delhi court on Thursday turned down a plea seeking police custody of suspected serial rapist Ravinder Kumar, and sent him to 14 days’ judicial custody in Tihar Jail instead.

Seeking Kumar’s custody, the Delhi Police told the court that the accused has made disclosures about 16 more cases, in which he had allegedly committed similar crimes in adjoining areas of Begumpur police station, like Narela and Bawana. His custody was required to ascertain the facts related to the other ‘crimes’, police told the court.

Police said Kumar had admitted to committing two such crimes in Bahadurgarh area and it needed custody of the accused to identify the sites of the alleged crime.

[related-post]

But Additional Sessions Judge (ASJ) Vinod Yadav directed the investigation officer to inform the police stations of the areas, where Kumar allegedly committed the crimes, about these cases. The officers concerned from these police stations should seek his custody for their investigations, as and when required, he said.

Delhi Police also told the court that Kumar had admitted to raping and murdering 16 more minors, taking the total number of minors killed by him to 27. Police sources had earlier told The Indian Express that he had admitted to 30 such crimes.

“During a period of seven days, when the accused was on police remand in this case, the investigation from the accused has been completed qua this case. Investigation Officer is directed to inform the concerned police stations about the cases, in which, the accused has made disclosure statements and, thereafter, it would be the job of the IO of concerned police station to seek the custody of accused, if required,” the ASJ directed.

“As far as this case is concerned, I see no ground to grant further police custody remand. The application is accordingly dismissed. The accused is remanded to judicial custody till August 5,” the ASJ added.

📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines

For all the latest Delhi News, download Indian Express App.

  • The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
X