Updated: July 23, 2015 8:03:08 pm
Noida Police are yet to find out the identities of the two children who were allegedly raped and killed in this Uttar Pradesh district by suspected serial rapist Ravinder Kumar.
Sources said the Noida Police were yet to find out who they were or where they lived, almost 48 hours after Delhi Police told them that Kumar had admitted to raping and killing two children in Noida.
The Delhi Police claimed Kumar had confessed to raping and killing two minors in Sector 67 and Sector 71 in Noida in 2013.
“When that information was provided to us, we directed our officers to contact the Delhi Police and gather all information on the two cases. We looked at our records and found no mention of the crimes. Neither was a complaint filed nor were the bodies recovered. Then, we asked our officers to visit the areas and speak to local residents,” Preetinder Singh, Senior Superintendent of Police (Gautam Budh Nagar), said.
After questioning of residents in the area failed to yield any leads, the police decided to visit the areas again to talk to more residents.
“The area has a large number of migrant labourers. They return from work at different times, so we hoped that casting the net wider might give us some leads,” a police officer said.
But after two days of questioning, the police are yet to find out who the two victims were. “If the bodies had been discovered, due process would have been followed, a postmortem would have been conducted and a case registered. That doesn’t seem to be the case,” Singh said.
Consequently, the police are now focusing on three possibilities — that the victims’ families did not register a case, the local police did not probe the case or the information of the Delhi Police is incorrect.
Kumar has allegedly admitted to sexually assaulting and murdering 30 minors.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines