scorecardresearch
Follow Us:
Wednesday, December 01, 2021

Security improved on HC premises

A year after the blast near Gate 5 of the Delhi High Court,security measures on the premises have been upgraded with the addition of CCTV cameras,vehicle scanners and police personnel at gates.

Written by Jayant Sriram | New Delhi |
September 7, 2012 12:52:35 am

A year after the blast near Gate 5 of the Delhi High Court,security measures on the premises have been upgraded with the addition of CCTV cameras,vehicle scanners and police personnel at gates.

Additional Solicitor General and Delhi HC Bar Association president A S Chandhiok said new CCTV cameras have been installed at every important junction within the court premises.

“Cameras have also been installed on the parking lot. The new facilities that are coming up at the complex will also have upgraded security,” he said.

A day after the September 7 blast,which killed 15 and injured more than 70 people,a high-level meeting had decided that 49 new CCTV cameras must be installed at the complex. The meeting was attended by HC judges,senior lawyers,police and government officials.

Till then,there were 21 CCTV cameras on the High Court premises,but none near the reception counter — the site of the blast.

Decongestion of roads around the complex and multiple points for collection of entry passes are the other measures under consideration.

The September 7 blast proved to be devastating as the main reception area was targeted on the day of hearing of public interest litigations — this meant a large number of people were at the registration counter to collect entry passes.

“We are looking at a system where passes can be issued at each gate. This will also help decongest the area around the court,” Chandhiok said.

The system of issuing visitors’ passes has been computerised. “Earlier,information about each visitor had to be entered manually. Now,the software stores the information about case and court numbers,so the passes can be issued faster,” he said.

Framing of charges against main accused

New Delhi: A special court recently allowed the framing of charges against the prime accused,Wasim Akram Malik,in the blast case. Malik will be charged under various IPC sections that relate to criminal conspiracy,murder,attempt to murder,causing hurt and membership of a terrorist outfit.

The court,however,declined to charge him under other penal provisions of waging war against the country.

Malik,along with Amir Abbas Dev and a minor,had been arrested by National Investigation Agency (NIA).

The NIA had said the terror attack was plotted with an aim to get the death sentence of Afzal Guru,convicted in Parliament attack case,commuted to life term.

Dev has been granted pardon by the court and has turned an approver in the case.

The three others — Amir Kamal,Junaid Akram Malik and Shakir Hussain Seikh alias Chhota Hafiz — are still evading arrest. They are are suspected to be members of banned terror outfit Hizb-ul Mujahideen.

📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines

For all the latest Delhi News, download Indian Express App.

  • Newsguard
  • The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
  • Newsguard
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement