scorecardresearch
Friday, Feb 03, 2023
Advertisement
Premium

Schools ‘serious’ about fee hike

Even as the deliberations on the criteria for this year’s nursery admission continue,city schools are seriously considering implementing a “fee hike”.

Losing revenue due to EWS reservation,schools want other students to make up

Even as the deliberations on the criteria for this year’s nursery admission continue,city schools are seriously considering implementing a “fee hike”. And they say they have valid reasons.

With the Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education Act making it mandatory for unaided private recognised schools to reserve 25 per cent of seats for the economically weaker section (EWS),it is the 75 per cent of seats — the fee paying students — that will have to “compensate for the loss in revenue”.

There are at least 394 schools in Capital who have got land at concessional rates.

Subscriber Only Stories
JCB Prize for Literature 2022-winning translator Baran Farooqi on growing...
Delhi Confidential: Meet, greet and part in Parliament
In Jamtara, old panchayat buildings turned into libraries and study circl...
Budget 2023: Choosing the right tax regime

S K Bhattacharya,president of the Action Committee of the Unaided Recognised Private Schools,told Newsline: “The 25 per cent of the EWS category is a huge burden on the private schools. This will lead to a very complicated kind of economics. The rest of the 75 per cent fee-paying students will have to pay the extra fee.”

“If I am getting fees from 75 students and 25 are getting free education,where will I get the money to pay the salary of the teachers,to maintain the quality of the education,etc,” said the principal of a top school. “Parents of the 75 per cent will have to pay extra now. There is no other option.”

While the government has promised to pay some amount of the fee for the EWS students,most schools are not satisfied. “They will give a meagre amount,” said Bhattacharya.

Advertisement

Usha Ram,principal of Laxman Public School in Hauz Khas,said,“It is not just the EWS category. Schools will also have to reserve seats for the staff. The total adds upto 26,27 or even 28 per cent for schools. Fee will have to be increased.” Meanwhile,the most distressed lot are the schools that have been given land on concessional rates,as the government will give them any reimbursement. As the nursery admission season gets underway,most such schools are complaining of the “major financial burden” that the RTE will put on them.

A principal of one such school said: “We won’t be compensated at all. We are facing a difficult situation. We have appraised the Education Minister of our issues,let us wait what he says.”

Concessional rates a misnomer: Schools

The unaided recognised private schools across the Capital say that the word “concessional rates” is a misnomer. “We were not given land on concessional rates. We have bought the land for the cost fixed by the government,” said a principal. “The government was giving land to the societies because it wanted the societies to build more schools. Now,it is saying that we won’t get any reimbursement.”

First published on: 01-12-2010 at 03:39 IST
Next Story

All roads lead to Nagpur for Gadkari son’s wedding

Latest Comment
Post Comment
Read Comments
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
close