Updated: April 1, 2021 1:49:43 am
A fire broke out inside a medical ICU at Safdarjung Hospital on Wednesday morning, with teams of the Delhi Fire Services and hospital staffers rescuing more than 50 patients from two wards and shifting them to other floors, said officials on Wednesday.
No casualty was reported, officials said, adding that the fire started due to a short circuit in a ventilator machine. Officials said the wires caught fire, which led to a lot of smoke in the ward.
Atul Garg, the fire chief, said they received a call at 6.35 am from the hospital.
“The fire was on the first floor and eight patients were inside the ICU. We rushed there and patients were evacuated with the help of hospital staffers. Though the fire wasn’t major, the equipment in the ward was gutted and created a lot of smoke,” said Garg.
Nine fire tenders were rushed to the spot with over 40 firefighters. More than 50 patients, who were in the ward next to the ICU, were also shifted as more equipment in the ICU, including ventilators and ACs, caught fire.
“The fire was doused within an hour and cooling operation was initiated. The smoke was a challenge as it could have harmed patients,” said a fire official.
The Safdarjung Hospital released a note saying the fire broke out due to a voltage fluctuation and a short circuit.
“There was a minor fire incident in medicine ward 11 (HDU) in Safdarjung Hospital on Wednesday probably due to high voltage fluctuation and short circuit. All the patients admitted in HDU and the ward were evacuated immediately to other wards by our nursing staff and security personnel. There was no loss of life. The fire was controlled immediately by our hospital fire safety team..,” read the statement.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.