Locomotives in steam-8
The Mayurbhanj State owned the 52 km long Rupsa-Baripada,a 2 ft 6 inches gauge line,commonly referred to as Mayurbhanj State Railway. Four 0-6-4 T steam locos manufactured by Kerr Stuart & Company operated on this line. The stamp issued on the centenary celebrations of SER on March 28,1987,featured ML-691 manufactured in 1903.When MLR was converted to diesel,the four locos were transferred to Naupada -Parlakimedi railway and were renamed PL class. The loco PL-691 is now plinthed outside the GM office in Chennai. Four other PLR locos are also preserved at different locations in the country.
VIKAS SINGH RAIL ENTHUSIAST
DID YOU KNOW?
The first railway train in India made its inaugural run on April 16,1853,from Boribunder,Bombay to Thana,a distance of 34 km.The track was broad gauze (5 6″),chosen after much deliberations by British government. However,by 1868 it was felt that further extensions were possible only with light railways. Sir John Lawrence advocated adoption of narrower gauge. His successor Lord mayo recommended 3 3″ gauze. Finally in December 1871,metre gauze was officially accepted. Anderson committee was set up under aegis of BB&CIR (Bombay,Baroda and Central India Railway) for development of Rajputana Malwa railway in North India. On January 26,1866,after British government got approval from princely states of Bharatpur,Alwar,Jhalwar,Pratpgarh,Sirohi and Tonk,work commenced. Finally on February 14,1873,the mainline from Delhi to Rewari (84 km) and a branch line from Garhi Harsaru to Farukhnagar (12.3 km) were opened. The first meter gauge engines to work on this line were A class 2-4-0 tank engines.
With Delhi-Rewari metre gauge line being converted to broad gauge,trains have now stopped running on this line. Soon this metre gauge spur will be converted to broad gauge.
– VIKAS SINGH,RAIL ENTHUSIAST