DEPRESSED over examination results and for letting their father down,two children consumed poison at their Nihal Vihar home,in West Delhi,on Tuesday. Their mother,who got scared after she saw her son lying unconscious,decided to end her life too,police said on Thursday.
Kamlesh (45) and her daughter Tamana (17) died due to overdose of sulphas (a pesticide),while Neeraj (14) was discharged from hospital on Thursday.
According to police,Tamana wrote her CBSE Class XII examination this year,the results for which were declared on Monday. She did not clear the exam.
Neeraj,who was recently promoted to Class X,had been unhappy with his poor performance in Class IX examinations,police said. The boy felt that he had let his father an assistant sub-inspector with the Delhi Police down,police said.
According to police,the news of Tamana failing her exam plunged Neeraj further into depression and he ate sulphas tablets.
Later,his mother saw Neeraj lying unconscious with sulphas tablets near him,and she too consumed the poison.
She feared that her husband would blame her for not taking care of the son, a police officer said.
Police said when Tamana saw her brother and mother lying unconscious on the floor,she too gulped down the pesticide tablets.
At the time,their father ASI Pradeep was at Vijay Vihar police station.
A PCR call was made by a neighbour,Lucky,who went to the house to meet Neeraj,police said.
In a statement to police,Neeraj said he was upset over his and his sisters academic performance, an officer said.
Police said Neeraj felt that his parents gave him and his sister all the facilities,including the best education,and he failed them. He said he wanted to make his father proud and aspired to become a good police officer,like him.
Pradeep Kumar joined the Delhi Police as a constable in 1990 and got his first promotion in 2006.
In 2010,he got an out of turn promotion after he arrested over 80 proclaimed offenders in one year.