Follow Us:
Monday, June 01, 2020

Ponty Chadha murder: Seven accused surrender before court

Seven persons,wanted for their alleged roles in the shootout that killed liquor baron Gurdeep ‘Ponty’ Chadha and his younger brother Hardeep at a South Delhi farmhouse in November last year,surrendered before a Delhi court on Thursday.

Written by Express News Service | New Delhi | Published: March 8, 2013 1:18:00 am

Seven persons,wanted for their alleged roles in the shootout that killed liquor baron Ponty Chadha and his younger brother Hardeep at a South Delhi farmhouse in November last year,surrendered before a Delhi court on Thursday.

Satnam Singh alias Satte,Balkar Singh,Baaj Singh,Pargat Singh,Kulbir Singh,Bakshish Singh and Hardayal Singh,who are allegedly associates of former Uttarakhand minorities panel chief S S Namdhari,are among 22 persons chargesheeted in the case.

Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (CMM) Raj Kumar Tripathi sent Hardayal,Satnam and Balkar to judicial custody for one day for their test identification parade (TIP),while the remaining accused were remanded to police custody till March 14.

The court had earlier issued non-bailable warrants against them and two others who are on the run.

After they failed to appear before the court,proceedings under Section 82 of the Criminal Procedure Code had been initiated against them in December 2012,for declaring them absconders.

Seeking custody of the accused,Delhi Police Crime Branch officials told the CMM that the accused need to be taken to various places in Uttar Pradesh for recovery of weapons used in the commission of the crime.

Police also intend to confront them with call details and CCTV footage,recovered during investigation in the case.

Besides Namdhari and his personal security officer Sachin Tyagi,the police on February 16 had chargesheeted 20 others including Ponty for attempt to murder,causing grievous harm,dacoity,rioting with deadly weapons,house trespass,kidnapping,illegally confining occupants of farmhouse and destruction of evidence.

The court also dismissed bail pleas of accused Rajpal Singh,Bhupender Singh,Uday Raj Singh,Satnam Singh,Mathura Singh and Anand Singh Bisht,who are currently lodged in Tihar Jail with Namdhari,Tyagi and four others.

They have been remanded in judicial custody till March 19. All 22 accused have been charged with criminal conspiracy,common intention and offences under the Arms Act.

The chargesheet also named Ponty as an accused as he had reached the farmhouse in accordance with his “well-hatched conspiracy” with Namdhari and others to takeover the possession of the disputed farmhouse,which was in Hardeep’s custody.

The chargesheet said Ponty and Namdhari were the “main conspirators in armed and forcible dispossession of occupants from farmhouse No. 42”.

📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines

For all the latest Delhi News, download Indian Express App.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement