Even as the Delhi Police claimed that Ravinder Kumar, arrested last week in a rape-cum-murder case, admitted to sexually assaulting and murdering 30 minors, he was brought forth on Monday at Begumpur police station by officers to “confess” to the media. However, Ravinder’s lawyer alleged that to “parade” the accused, “without completing the investigation” was “fundamentally wrong”.
Standing at a compound in the middle of the station with his face covered in a black cloth, wrists handcuffed tightly and two police officers alongside him, the 24-year-old answered questions ranging from movies that had allegedly “inspired him”, to his drinking habits.
His lawyer, R K Singh, alleged that Ravinder’s rights were being violated.
- Delhi: Former judo player arrested for stalking woman
- Day after cop’s son arrested for ‘rape and assault’, two more held
- Delhi: 35-year-old policeman shot dead near home, probe on
- Three Zomato staff assault man, molest his wife: Delhi Police
- Delhi: ‘Serial rapist’ Ravinder Kumar sent to jail for 14 days
- Accused to undergo brain-mapping, DNA tests: Police
“In my opinion, what the Delhi Police is doing is completely wrong. It is fundamentally wrong to parade the accused like this. His father is a poor man and he has been evicted. Police haven’t completed the investigation yet. They are still conducting their inquiries and gathering evidence. On the basis of that, they should file a fresh FIR in the cases. But to make him confess to the media like this is wrong,” Singh said.
Earlier in the day, during questioning, Kumar had allegedly admitted that he was sodomised by two children when he was a 11-year-old, and recently when he was lodged in Rohini Jail.
Deputy Commissioner of Police (Outer) Vikaramjit Singh has confirmed this.
“We are now approaching a psychologist to perform Ravinder’s psychological profiling in the coming days. Ravinder has now admitted to his involvement in a total of 30 cases in Delhi and other states,” DCP Singh said.
Police said they have were able to trace 11 of the incidents where cases were filed. On Monday, police said they had identified three more victims from Aman Vihar, Shahbad Dairy, Narela and K N Katju police stations.
Singh said he hasn’t spoken to Ravinder yet and only after the judicial meeting could he comment on the legitimacy of the police’s claims and Ravinder’s alleged confessions. “I am yet to meet and speak to him. So I can’t comment on whether these confessions were made under duress. But it seems that police have already pronounced judgment on him,” he said.