Follow Us:
Friday, July 20, 2018

Not so elementary

Alumni,sibling factors shut out many,forcing them to wait for second list,apply again next year,or pay for management seats.

Written by Nandini Thilak | New Delhi | Published: February 2, 2012 3:00:58 am

Many seemed stunned,other turned away in disappointment,still others craned forward for a second look as schools across Delhi put out the first list for admission to nursery.

“I have lost all hope of sending my child to a good school,” said Aarti Jain whose son did not make it to any school for the second year. Jain had applied to 23 schools last year and 15 this year. “I checked nine schools in our neighbourhood,then I stopped looking.”

Manu Dhawan’s son also did not make it to any of the 16 schools he had applied to. “I will continue sending him to the play school he goes to and probably apply again next year.

Unlike Jain and Dhawan,Paramjeet Kaur is spoilt for choice. Her daughter Meher made it to the list at four schools,including Paramjeet’s alma mater.

Most schools had a cut-off based on 100 points. All parents who made the cut were called for a lottery,which was held in the presence of parents,a government nominee and the police.

First reports suggest that many schools preferred children with points in sibling or alumni category,a trend that reduced chances of admission of children in the general category.

With chances of a second list in most schools looking slim,authorities are urging parents to take the seat being offered,even if it is in a school that is not their first preference. “I think parents should reserve seats wherever they make it in the first list,” said D K Bedi,principal of Apeejay School,Pitampura.

Kusumlatha,whose son was not selected in any of the eight schools where she had applied,said: “I am not going to wait for the second list. The only option is to go for management quota seats. As far as I know,it will cost at least Rs 50,000 to get a management seat in small schools. Bigger ones charge as high as Rs 3 or 4 lakh,” she said.

Other parents applied to as many schools as possible,and it worked. “I applied to 25 schools for my son. He has made it at two. Though we haven’t got the school of our first choice,I am not going to wait for the second list,” Simran Kalra said.

Gautam Malhotra and his wife applied for admission of their child to 15 schools. They tasted success at two,one being Malhotra’s alma mater. But this experience has shaken his colleague: “It is so hard. After watching him worry and leave work early every evening for this,I have decided that it is better to move out of the city,” Anshul Yadav said.

Many schools withheld the list for EWS category students in the wake of the January 31 order of the Delhi High Court which laid down fresh guidelines on EWS admissions. The application process for EWS candidates has been reopened in some schools.

For all the latest Delhi News, download Indian Express App

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement