Follow Us:
Thursday, July 19, 2018

Never mind what he says,Kejriwal will get security cover: Police

Delhi Police on Thursday said they were bound to give him protection keeping in view his post.

Written by Shalini Narayan | New Delhi | Published: December 27, 2013 1:15:42 am

The stand-off between Delhi’s Chief Minister-designate Arvind Kejriwal and police over his personal security notwithstanding,the Delhi Police on Thursday said they were bound to give him protection keeping in view his post.

“Our security cover for him stands since he is going to be the chief minister,” Special Commissioner of Police (security) J K Sharma said.

Lt-Governor Najeeb Jung on Thursday held a meeting with senior officers of the Delhi Police,in which he asked them to convince Kejriwal to agree to personal security cover,a source said.

On Thursday,Kejriwal also turned down Ghaziabad SSP Dharmendra Singh’s offer of security cover. He said he did not need the policemen deployed outside his house and they should go back.

Police said if Kejriwal moved into an address in Delhi,the place would be secured by the Delhi Police. If he continues to live at his present residence in Kaushambi,the address would be secured by the Uttar Pradesh Police,they said.

“If he decides to take up a rented accommodation in Delhi and continues to refuse security,the entire society will be secured. If he refuses Personal Security Officers (PSOs),we will deploy men in plainclothes around him round the clock. If he refuses a convoy,we will still protect him… a vehicle will escort him at a distance. We cannot take a chance. He cannot be left without any security,” a senior police officer said.

According to the officer,Kejriwal might not be facing any threat from terrorists,but he could still be targeted by people for his position.

Police said Kejriwal had agreed to inform them in advance about his visits and rallies,and asked them to provide security at the venue and make arrangements for crowd control.

“If the Chief Minister’s Office refuses security cover in writing,the matter will be referred to the Home Ministry,” an officer said.

For all the latest Delhi News, download Indian Express App