- Janhvi Kapoor: I have done nothing to deserve this kind of attention
- India vs England 3rd ODI, Live Cricket Score Streaming, Ind vs Eng Live Score: England cruising in 257-run chase vs India
- India vs England 3rd ODI Live Cricket Streaming, Ind vs Eng Live Cricket Score: Watch Ind vs Eng Live Stream at Sony Liv, Sony Ten 3
In Narela police station, located in the Outer Delhi district, a total of 211 police officers try their best to control crime in an area that spreads across 100 sqkm and has a population of over 6 lakh.
The Delhi Police’s Crime Branch recently mapped the most affected areas in Delhi for four offences — molestation, rape, chain-snatching and murder. In 2014, Narela police station was placed eight in the number of murder cases recorded. This year, it has moved up eight places to first and has the highest reported figures of murder in the capital.
From the figures available with the Delhi Police, Outer Delhi recorded the most murder cases. Yet, it has very few officers and staff to deal with these heinous cases. In comparison, the Central district — which covers barely 20 km and also has a population of roughly 6 lakh — is policed by 15 police stations and over 6,500 officers.
- Chinks in cyber armour
- What kept Munna Bajrangi going? Clues in a carpet shop, Purulia arms drop and a mortuary
- From Boys to Gangsters: The ones who got caught
- Delhi encounter: Owner of Chattarpur farmhouse booked
- Delhi’s most wanted among four killed in daylight encounter, eight policemen injured
- Narela double murder, robbery case: 5 arrested including one after encounter with Delhi police
Murder cases in Narela rose from three in 2014 to five in 2015 between January 1 and April 15. Moreover, like other police stations in the capital, they are facing similar problems — along with a severe staff crunch, they have to cover the large area with only three gypsies and five motorcycles for round-the-clock patrolling.
Sources in the Outer district police told The Indian Express that apart from the staff crunch problem, Narela police station is also facing a resource problem as they don’t have records of well-maintained vehicles.
Sources also said most of the criminals they arrested were from unauthorised colonies in the district such as Bawana colony, Gogha, Sannoth, Kulakpur and Kureni.
Another worrying area for the station is that investigation into many murder cases revealed that crimes were committed elsewhere but bodies were dumped in their area.
“There are some villages such as Bakhtawar Pur, Akbarpur Majra where murders were committed over some ancestral land dispute and the bodies were dumped in the area under our jurisdiction,” a police officer said.
Following the crime-mapping exercise, Delhi Police Commissioner B S Bassi had already directed all the area officers concerned to put in place preventive measures to curb murder cases.
Interestingly, last year, only Alipur police station of Outer Delhi was among the top five police stations where most murder cases were reported. But this year four police stations of Outer Delhi — Narela, Shahbad Dairy, Samaypur Badli and Alipur — are in the top-five list. Outer Delhi police stations have now replaced areas such as Ghazipur, Jahangirpuri, Shakarpur and Sagarpur in recording the highest murder cases.