Within hours after the murder of Congolese national Masonda Ketanda Olivier Friday night, investigators got a crucial lead while going through footage from CCTV cameras installed in the area. They found images of the suspects running away from the spot.
One of the suspects, Mobin Azad Saifi (23), was immediately identified by a head constable of Delhi Police. Saifi had been arrested last year in connection with a molestation case.
Speaking about the case, police sources said two sisters, who lived with their parents in Kishangarh village, were allegedly molested by two men on a motorcycle. The men had dumped their motorcycle and fled after the incident, said sources.
Police had seized the motorcycle and on the basis of its registration number, arrested two people, including Saifi. Both men were sent to Tihar Jail.
- Delhi: Final accused in Congo man’s murder arrested
- Congolese man’s murder: Accused on run was nabbed once with 2 Nigerians in cheating case
- Congolese national death: MEA official meets victim’s family
- Congolese national beaten to death: Second suspect held
- Murder of Congolese national: 1 held, search on for 2 accused
- Minutes before birthday, man from Congo beaten to death in Vasant Kunj
“One of the head constables, who was the part of the team which had arrested Saifi earlier, immediately identified him in the CCTV footage and informed his seniors. They tracked down his address and conducted a raid at his residence in Mehrauli later last night,” added the source.
Saifi met Mukesh, another suspect in Olivier’s murder who is currently absconding, in Tihar, said sources. Mukesh had been arrested last year in connection with a cheating case, he said.
“They met in prison and became friends. Saifi remained in jail for two-and-a-half months and they exchanged phone numbers before being released on bail. They remained in touch. The third accused, identified as Prakash, works as a driver,” said the source.