A 24-year-old MTech student from Aligarh University died after he allegedly slipped and fell into a sewage treatment tank while collecting a sample from the plant in Okhla,Southeast Delhi,for his college project,police said.
The student,Deepak Gupta,a resident of Aligarh,had come to Delhi with one his classmates to collect a sample from the Delhi Jal Board sewage treatment plant in Okhla.
According to the police,Deepak was asked to go down the tank and collect the sample himself. He reportedly slipped and fell into the 44 foot deep tank and died of suffocation.
All the sewage from across the area collects in this septic tank. Apart from waste,the septic tank had poisonous fumes of nitrous oxide given out by the rotting waste. The moment he slipped inside the tank,he fell unconscious and subsequently died, a police officer said.
A PCR call was made and a police team reached the plant and took out the body. The fumes from the tank were so strong that the police team had trouble getting the body out. We have registered a case of 304A (culpable homicide not amounting to murder) has been registered against unidentified persons and investigation is on, police said.
Guptas family has been informed and the body has been sent for a post-mortem examination. Even though there is no scope for foul play in the matter,the exact cause of death will be ascertained only after the post-mortem examination, a police officer said.
Delhi Jal Board said that there were two M tech students who had gone there to take sludge samples for a research project and a DJB assistant was there to accompany and guide the students. It is a very unfortunate incident despite the fact that DJB focusses very much on the safety of its personnel. An enquiry has been set up to look into the lapses and negligence. In future we will ensure that such projects are taken up with due procedure and such incidents do not happen, DJB CEO,Debashree Mukherjee said.