With the number of vehicles in the Capital on the upward curve,the Motor Accidents Claim Tribunal across the five district courts is constantly juggling pending cases and fresh claims. There are 13 MACTs in Delhi: three at Tis Hazari,two at Karkardooma,two at Dwarka,three at Rohini and three at Patiala House,presided over by judicial officers from the Delhi Higher Judicial Service.
* Till February 2009,4,619 fatal accident cases were pending at these tribunals (from the previous years). In 2008-09,1,955 new fatal accident cases were recorded. 2,004 cases of fatal injury are pending with the MACT at Patiala House courts alone. The Rohini Courts are next in line,battling 1,144 pending accident fatal cases.
* As far as minor injuries are concerned,a total of 9,573 cases are pending,with the highest 3,838 cases pending at Patiala House.
* Pending property damage cases have gone down from last years 202 cases to 126 cases.
* Miscellaneous pending cases stand at 291,down from 848 cases that were pending till last year. The massive disposal rate could indicate the success of the MACT Lok Adalat organised early this year that has disposed of most of the pending cases.
* Number of motor accident claims tribunals in Delhi 13
* Number of judges in these tribunals 13
* Number of cases disposed of by MACT judges last year 7,219
Courtesy the Delhi courts website