Mother,four minors perish in blazehttps://indianexpress.com/article/cities/delhi/mother-four-minors-perish-in-blaze/

Mother,four minors perish in blaze

A woman and four of her children were burnt to death in a blaze in the Shahbad Dairy area on Sunday night.

A woman and four of her children were burnt to death in a blaze in the Shahbad Dairy area on Sunday night.

The deceased children have been identified as Shivani (10),Baby (6),Rajrani (3),and 40-day-old Babu. Only 4-year-old Deepak survived the blaze and is admitted in hospital with serious burns. According to a statement by Kamlesh (43),their mother,who succumbed to her injuries on Monday,the fire started with a spark in the TV.

Their neighbours woke up to their screams around 11 pm. “We heard the sudden cries and ran outside to find Kamlesh’s room ablaze,” Sanjay,a neighbour,said.

Kamlesh’s husband Suresh,who works as a labourer,was not present last night when the fire broke out,the neighbours have alleged but he was the first to come after the fire,they said. “He was there when we went out. He was pulling his children out with his burnt hands,” another neighbour said.

Advertising

Kamlesh’s family,however,have alleged that Suresh was involved in the fire; Kamlesh’s mother kept repeating that her daughter had been killed.

But Kamlesh herself cleared her husband and told the SDM that it was because of a shot-circuit that their room caught fire. “She told the SDM there was a spark in the TV set and then the kerosene stove caught fire,and suddenly everything was burning,” a senior police officer said. A call was made for help at 11.10 pm and fire tenders were rushed to the spot. But by then the room and its occupants had been burnt completely.

Sanjay said they tried to help and asked the children to run out of the house but they were not even able to stand up. “We kept splashing water but it was just not enough to save them,” he said.

All the injured were rushed to LN Hospital with major burns. Shivani,Rajrani and Babu died last night,while Kamlesh and Baby died on Monday.

A case has been registered under sections 304-A (death due to negligence),285 (negligent conduct with respect to fire or combustible matter) and 337 (causing hurt by act endangering life or personal safety of others) of the IPC and the police are investing the case.

“We do not know the exact cause of the fire yet,so we can’t make any comments,” a senior officer said.