Delhi tops the list of six metros surveyed for Right to Information compliance. Newsline examines some figures.
Status of RTI mechanism in Delhi till date:
Total applications received: 83,978
Total applications disposed of: 81,303 (96.8 per cent)
Total applications pending with public information officers:
1,658 (2 per cent)
Total applications pending due to non-payment of further fees byapplicants: 1,021 (1.2 per cent)
The total number of appeals received this year by the Delhi government is 3,605,of which 3,539 (98.2 per cent) have been disposed of and 66 (1.8 per cent) are pending
A published survey carried out by a Delhi-based NGO states:
* The Delhi Jal Board and Municipal Corporation of Delhi topped the list of 33 agencies surveyed
* While the DJB disclosed 89 per cent of the information sought,MCD disclosed 76 per cent of information sought
* The Delhi Transport Corporation published only 19 per cent of information applied for
* The Delhi Development Authority received 12,970 RTI applications from October 2005 to December 2007 and the Delhi Police received 12,229 applications during the same period
* Other government agencies in Delhi that received a large number of RTI applications are the Education Department (4,175),the Food Supplies and Consumer Affairs Department (2,535),DJB (1,698) and the office of the Commissioner of Industries (1,496)
* The Chit Fund Department received the lowest number of RTI applications with only 13. Other departments in this league are Planning (17),Archaeology (25),Home Guards and Civil Defence (34),and the Public Works Department (57)
* The Delhi Police received the highest number of first appeals at 1,177,followed by the Education Department (447),DJB (260),DDA (258),the Department of Training and Technical Education (251) and the Transport Department (122).
* The number of second appeals filed with the Delhi Police,DDA,Education Department,the Department of Training and Technical Education,the DJB and the food supplies and consumer affairs department are 135,81,59,45,20 and 14 respectively.
Sources: Delhi Government website and various RTI forums