A minor fire broke out at the Prime Minister’s Office in South Block on Tuesday morning. Fire officials said the control room received information about the fire at 6.27 am, following which eight fire tenders were rushed to the spot.
The fire started in a UPS inside the ground floor office of a Joint Secretary in the PMO.
A K Sharma, Director (Delhi Fire Service), said the fire was in a small room and was brought under control within minutes.
DCP (New Delhi) SBS Tyagi said the fire was caused by a power leakage in the UPS. “The fire was doused within no time. No damage was reported. There was some wood, which got burnt.”
A statement from the PMO spokesperson’s office read, “There was a short-circuit in a UPS of a computer triggering off a smoke detector. The fire alarm went off and then fire service reached the spot. No damage or injury has been reported.”